Yields 6 servings
- 1 lb. lean ground chicken or turkey breast, hormone/antibiotic free
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2, 15 oz cans of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 7 oz. chopped green chilies
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
Heat skillet over medium heat and brown chicken until cooked thoroughly. Add onions and garlic and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Rinse and drain beans and add to skillet with the chilies, chicken broth, chicken base, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, pepper, and salt. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until liquid has reduced and thickened (do not boil). Serve with Mexican blend shredded cheese and 1 tbsp. of Greek yogurt if desired.
Total Calories 321, Total Fat 3g, Carbohydrates 42g, Sugars 2g, Dietary Fiber 11g, Protein 33g, Sodium 239mg, excellent source of copper, phosphorous, vitamin B6, and niacin.