Memorial Day marks the beginning of grilling season and outside gatherings, however the traditional barbecue food won’t help you stay on track for that summer body!
The typical barbecue will consist of some sort of marinated, grilled, and sauce covered meat, potatoes, slaw, corn, beans, bread, and alcohol (basically carbs on carbs on carbs…).
While these may taste awesome, your waistline will not thank you for it.
I’ve created some AMAZING Memorial Day recipes that will have your guests begging you for the recipes, while helping you keep your healthy habits in check.
This Memorial Day spread consists of a Mediterranean Turkey Burger, Broccoli Slaw Salad, Mediterranean White Bean Salad, and a Blackberry Margarita.
This spread is MUCH healthier than traditional grill season food, and contains a ton of vegetables and fiber to keep you feeling satisfied. Not to mention these are all super easy to make so that you can focus on what matters, spending time with family and friends, and not slaving away in the kitchen all day.
Check it out!
Mediterranean Turkey Burger
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey breast
- 6 oz. jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup packed organic baby spinach
- 1 pint (8 oz.) button mushrooms
- 1 cage free organic egg
- 2 slices gluten-free bread (I used the 2 heels)
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan sea salt and black pepper
Using a food chopper or food processor, grind the bread until it becomes fine crumbs, remove and set aside. In the food processor, chop the red peppers, mushrooms, and spinach into a very fine consistency (separately), and mix all 3 together in a bowl until well combined. Mix ground turkey, egg, bread crumbs, chia seeds, red pepper mixture, and seasonings until mixed thoroughly, being careful not to overwork. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat (use only 1 tsp. of olive oil if needed), form into 6 patties and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Note: you will only want to flip these once, also do NOT try and cook these on the grill, they will fall apart. Serve burgers wrapped in a red lettuce leaf and topped with avocado slices and tomato if desired.
Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 2, 10 oz. packages of broccoli slaw
- ½ cup Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and store in an airtight container in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Mediterranean White Bean Salad
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 15-oz. can of great northern beans
- 1/4 of a red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup full-fat feta cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 jar artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring well to combine. Cover in an air-tight container and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- 10 fresh blackberries, muddled
- 5 mint leaves, muddled
- 1 part silver tequila
- 1 part Grand Marnier
- 1 part Triple Sec
- Juice of 2 fresh lemons (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed pineapple juice
- Crushed ice
Muddle the blackberries and mint in the bottom of a glass and add all other ingredients except ice. Fill another glass with crushed ice and dump the drink mixture over the ice, garnish with fresh mint leaves and enjoy!!